deranged.me posts may contain affiliate links. See disclosure policy under The Legal Stuff.
4 tablespoons squid ink (available from gourmet retailers or online)
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
pinch of salt
1 loaf unsliced white bread
4 cups vegetable oil
What to do:
1. In a large mixing bowl, mix the squid ink, rice wine vinegar, sugar and salt. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in a medium saucepan to 325 degrees.
3. Cut all of the crust from the bread.
4. Cut rounded cubes to resemble charcoal briquettes or rip the bread to resemble natural charcoal.
5. Toss the bread in the squid ink mixture until fully coated. Lay on a cooling rack with a tray under it to drip dry for 10 minutes.
6. Carefully drop your “briquettes” into the hot oil and cook 2-3 minutes until crispy.
yum, bleh, yum, bleh...