Denon AVR-X1000 5.1-Channel Networking Home Theater AV Receiver with AirPlay is Amazon’s Deal of the Day, selling for $299 (list is $499.99).
- Delivers 5.1 channels of powerful sound (175 Watts) to provide high power and wide dynamic range with low distortion for a superb surround sound listening experience
- Features Audyssey Silver – with Audyssey MultEQ, Audyssey Dynamic Volume, and Audyssey Dynamic EQ to enhance the performance of any home theater system
- Extensive networking with AirPlay, Pandora, Spotify, & Sirius XM.
- Simple & easy setup with Denon Setup Assistant – on-screen graphical display with clear text and icons so you can easily make adjustments and settings during setup
- 6 HDMI inputs (5 rear + 1 front) & 1 output. Built-in USB port supports digital music playback and charging from an iPod, iPhone, iPad, or other USB device
Gold Box Deal of the Day: Up to 52% Off Select Air Purifiers from Fellowes. These AeraMax air purifiers capture 99.97% of airborne particles as small as 0.3 microns.
Upstairs, Downstairs: The Complete Series – 40th Anniversary Collection is the replacement Gold Box deal on Amazon, selling for $63.99 with free shipping (68% off). Set contains 21 discs. Upstairs: the wealthy, aristocratic Bellamys. Downstairs: their loyal and lively servants. For nearly 30 years, they share a fashionable townhouse at 165 Eaton Place in London’s posh Belgravia neighborhood, surviving social change, political upheaval, scandals, and the horrors of the First World War. The popular and successful British drama series in television history, Upstairs, Downstairs won seven Emmy Awards, a Golden Globe, and a Peabody. This epic saga of life and love in Edwardian England captivated viewers for five heart-tugging, humorous, and satisfying seasons. Seen by a billion people in over 40 countries, it’s beloved around the world. The ensemble cast of top British actors includes Jean Marsh (Agatha Christie’s The Pale Horse), Pauline Collins (Shirley Valentine), David Langton (The Spoils of War), Gordon Jackson (The Professionals), Simon Williams (Sword of Honour), and Lesley-Anne Down (North and South). Boy, this was a wonderful show…
The Sling Media Slingbox 350 is Amazon’s Daily Deal, selling for only $99 ($179.99 retail).
Extend your living room TV experience in sparkling 1080p high definition.
Connects to your digital video recorder (DVR), cable set-top box or satellite receiver via component or composite sources.
Watch and control your TV and all of its programming on your compatible smartphone or tablet using SlingPlayer software (sold separately).
This Canon Laser imageCLASS D530 Monochrome Printer with Scanner and Copier retails for $395, but it’s selling on Amazon for only $99 with FREE shipping! Check out the other printers – it’s a while supplies last deal. and just imagine how cheap the ink will be for this older-model printer!
- Copy and Print at the same speed up to 20 ppm
- Copies are ready to go when you are in just 8.7 seconds
- Enjoy easy paper handling with the 250-sheet front loading cassette and 1 -sheet multipurpose tray
- D Card Copy converts ID cards and other small two-sided originals into one-sided document
Twilight Forever: The Complete Saga Box Set [Blu-ray] for $49.96 with free shipping – list is $74.99. Perfect graduation idea for that ultimate Twilight fan.
This is a 10-Disc Blu-Ray set. Here is a breakdown of the discs:
1: TWILIGHT – Movie
2: TWILIGHT – Special Features
3: NEW MOON – Movie
4: NEW MOON – Special Features
5: ECLIPSE – Movie + Special Features
6: BREAKING DAWN PT. 1 – Movie (Theatrical Cut & Extended Edition)
7: BREAKING DAWN PT. 1 – Special Features
8: BREAKING DAWN PT. 2 – Movie
9: BREAKING DAWN PT. 2 – Special Features
10: TWILIGHT FOREVER – Exclusive Bonus Disc
*Also includes an Ultraviolet digital copy of each of the 5 movies.
Amazon’s Gold Box deal is for this Olympus Stylus SH-50 iHS Digital Camera with 24x Optical Zoom and 3-Inch LCD (Silver) for $149.99 – that’s 50% off list.
- Outstanding image quality, 24X wide-angle zoom, 3-Axis image stabilization
- Worlds first 5-Axis video stabilization in a compact camera, 1080P full HD video
- Manual mode, touch screen and live guide, tele-macro
Freakonomics Rev Ed: (and Other Riddles of Modern Life) (P.S.). A fascinating and easy to read explanations of whys. Which is more dangerous, a gun or a swimming pool? What do schoolteachers and sumo wrestlers have in common? Why do drug dealers still live with their moms? How much do parents really matter? How did the legalization of abortion affect the rate of violent crime?
These may not sound like typical questions for an econo-mist to ask. But Steven D. Levitt is not a typical economist. He is a much-heralded scholar who studies the riddles of everyday life—from cheating and crime to sports and child-rearing—and whose conclusions turn conventional wisdom on its head.
Freakonomics is a groundbreaking collaboration between Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner, an award-winning author and journalist. They usually begin with a mountain of data and a simple question. Some of these questions concern life-and-death issues while others have an admittedly freakish quality. Thus the new field of study contained in this book: freakonomics.
I’ve also read their follow-up book, SuperFreakonomics, also excellent. There’s a new one coming out next month: Think Like a Freak: The Authors of Freakonomics Offer to Retrain Your Brain to help train your thought processes to be more productive. lazy brains!